Village Logo


frequently asked questions image FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What is the responsibility as a homeowner in getting the water from the main to the house?

As a consumer of Village water, you are responsible for the repair of any service leaks between the valve box in front of the house and the point it enters your home. The Village will repair any leaks between the valve box and the water mainl, and any leak in the main itself.

How can I prevent my water service or pipes from freezing during the winter months?

To prevent your service or the pipes within your home from freezing under very cold conditions, you can take a couple of simple precautions:

  • Interior piping and the water meter inside homes and businesses can freeze and burst if they are not protected.  Interior areas should be adequately heated to protect interior plumbing from freezing.  Openings to the outside should be closed and properly insulated to eliminate cold air entry.  Repair broken windows, check doors, and insulate areas where cold air can leak in from the outside.

  • Meters and interior piping located near outside walls or foundations should be insulated to prevent freezing.  If insulation will not provide adequate protection, wrap pipes with heat tape or heat cables.  These products plug into power outlets and generate heat to prevent freezing.  Inspect heat tape for wear and replace when necessary.
  • Hoses should be removed from outside faucets and close the valve inside the house that control those faucets.
  • If a frozen interior pipe is suspected, turn off the water at the main shut off valve inside your home (located by the water meter) and call a plumber.  A hair dryer or portable heater can be used to try and thaw the frozen pipe.  Do not try to thaw a pipe with a torch or open flame.
  • When away from home for a few days, keep the thermostat set at 55 degrees or higher.  If you plan an extended stay away from home, consider having the water shut-off and possibly having your plumbing winterized. 
  • A customer may also wish to have their water meter removed.  Any damage that may result from allowing a water meter to become frozen shall be paid for by the customer (or owner) of the premises.
  • It’s always a good idea to contact the utility to ask questions regarding your water options when it comes to Wisconsin winters.

Who do I contact if I am moving?

Contact the Village of Plover Office at 715-345-5250. They will take care of ensuring a final meter reading is taken and guide you through the process.

Who do I contact to discuss billing problems or issues?

Payment of water and sewer billings is handled by the Village Office located in the Plover Municipal Building located at 2400 Post Road, Plover, WI 54467. The phone number is (715) 345-5250, Monday through Friday - 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Where can I find my water meter?

You usually can find your water meter in the basement of your house, toward the front wall, either in the utility room or in the closet. If you have a hard time finding your water meter, please call the Water Systems Department (715) 345-5254, they will be glad to help.

bullet button What do I do if my water is discolored?

Over time small amounts of minerals or sediment can accumulate in the water mains.  During periods of hydrant flushing, fire suppression, main break, flow testing, or other heavy use, this sediment can become disturbed and cause discoloration.  If your water becomes discolored, run a cold tap in the basement or bath tub at full force until the water clears.  This will usually clear in a few minutes.

bullet button Does the Village offer a sprinkling credit for irrigation?

For the 2nd & 3rd quarter (summer months), residents receive sewer usage calculated from the 1st & 4th quarter (winter months) average water usage.

bullet button I have no or low water pressure in my house?

There may be a main break in your area, or the water service lateral to your house may have a leak.  If the reduced pressure occurs on only one faucet, you may have a plugged faucet screen.

bullet button What is the hardness of my water?

The water contains 16-18 grains of hardness per gallon and is considered hard.  There are no harmful health effects associated with the minerals creating the hardness (in fact, some believe they are beneficial).

bullet button Why does my water smell like chlorine?

A small amount of chlorine is added to kill any viruses or bacteria that could be present in groundwater.  This harmless amount of chlorine helps keep the water protected all the way to your tap.  If you are bothered by a slight chlorine smell or taste, you can fill a clean pitcher with cold water, leave the container at least partially exposed to air, and let the water sit.  Most, if not all, of the chlorine will dissipate within 12 hours.  The key is to not completely seal the container.